How to Change Oil
You can save hundreds of dollars by changing your own oil every year. Not only can you save, you can also ensure that the oil is changed properly. Many of the freestanding oil change facilities do not take the time and care for your vehicle like you would. Changing the oil in a car is very easy, just a little messy.
Here we will give you a step by step guide to make changing your oil a cinch.
- The oil drain plug is generally found on the front center of the underside of the car. Your owner’s manual will give you this information as well.
- Make sure that you have placed your some type of pan to catch the draining oil; otherwise you will have a mess. You will then need to use a socket wrench to loosen the plug with a counterclockwise motion.
- Once the oil has finished draining wipe the oil plug and opening with a cloth.
- Replace the drain plug and ensure that it is in place securely. (Hint: Use your hand to replace the plug to avoid cross threading)
- Under the hood you can find the oil filter usually to the side of the engine. You may want to replace the oil pan underneath during this process to catch any remaining oil.
- At this step many use a special wrench to remove the oil filter (called a oil filter wrench)
- Again after removing wipe any old oil from where the filter mounts to the engine.
- After filling the reservoir with new oil (maintain the same type oil) apply some new oil to the rubber seal to help seal it off.
- Make sure to document the date for your service maintenance or car cleaning Auckland records.
Check with your owner’s manual for specifics, but it is recommended that you change the oil every 3000 miles or 3 months. This prevents your engine from running out of oil, which can be the end of your vehicle’s life.
If your oil is not changed properly it gets dirty causing buildup in your engine which can cause poor gas mileage, added stress on the engine parts. The dirtier the oil the faster the engine uses it and can lead to running out of oil. So you should check your oil frequently, especially if you are planning on taking a road trip. If you maintain service you will be able to drive your car for much longer and the resale value will be better or also you can contact car detailers London for perfect look of your car.